- First virtual classroom of Maldives launched in 2018 Q1 by Ministry of Education. The project was implemented with the assistance of the World Bank.
- Ooredoo launched Smart Campus, in partnership with Microsoft in Education in 2016.
- Several schools launched Smart Classrooms during the few years
- Video Conferencing is used around the Maldives in both private and public schools for distance learning
Your child is a digital native, why not take advantage of it at school?
1. It favors the observation of reality:
Audiovisuals allow to accurately represent or record real events. They emphasize empirical processes and bring us closer to fact-centered knowledge.
2. Understanding and analysis:
Audiovisual content, interactive animations, and graphics allow us to observe reality and visualize more easily structures, processes, relationships and the different elements that make it up.
3. The element of motivation and attractiveness:
Both for their ease of understanding and for their realism, and sometimes even for their spectacularity, students are attracted to audiovisual explanations and content.
4. Multiple languages and multiple literacies:
The audiovisual content helps to complement the didactic value of oral and written language. They are accustomed to linguistic convergence, which is typical of most communications of our time.
And they allow the development of complex semiotic interpretative skills (auditory and reading comprehension, expression, etc.), which, in turn, leads them to complex thinking and critical thinking.
5. Improves effectiveness:
The visualization of many processes and the potential of the audiovisual story favor the improvement of student performance and make easier the task of the teacher in terms of explanation, and more effective in terms of attention to specific needs beyond the exhibition.
6. It facilitates the learning of audiovisual writing:
At a time when much of the presentation and communication activities are dominated by audiovisual language, using audiovisual content in class favors the adaptation and integration of young people in the contemporary world and, in particular, facilitates their acquisition of skills to express themselves through audiovisuals.
7. Power media skills and creativity:
Using audiovisuals represents, in a certain way, taking charge of new technological production systems, acquiring competencies of teamwork and problem solving, etc. It is, therefore, a good system to access the autonomous use of technologies and, hence, creativity.
8. Encourages the use of and access to shared resource banks:
It is about the Open Educational Resources (REA), as well as the payment ones and, in general, the use of Internet platforms that speed up the use of materials and their sharing.
9. It favors the consideration of audiovisual heritage:
This is especially true in the case of cinema, through which students not only acquire media skills or enrich their understanding of the environment, but they can appreciate their own and others’ cultural values. But it is also true when it comes to television.
10. Introduction of aesthetic and creative evaluation criteria:
The audiovisual is a system of representation of reality, but also of artistic expression so that students accustomed to its use develop their skills.